Gp Capt Moriarty | Sgt McLean | Sgt Critchlow | SAC(T) Webb
Gp Capt Moriarty | Sgt McLean | Sgt Critchlow | SAC(T) Webb
Week 1 – By SAC(T) Webb


The week began on Sunday when we landed at Santiago International Airport, met by Major Gonzalo Vera, the Officer in Charge of the FACh Glider “No Engine Squadron” who welcomed us and and showed us to our accomodation for the exchange, a military hotel in Santiago, just 15 minutes from the airfield.

The first day we arrived at the airfield and were all very warmly welcomed by the other members of the Squadron. After some very comprehensive briefs about the Squadron, local procedures, safety and security, we had our sortie brief for the day. The first mission was a short familiarisation flight to show us the local area and the procedures for flying at the airfield, as well to let us get a feel for the aircraft we would be flying.

We then began to venture out into the mountains! Luckily the weather this week has been amazing, each flying approximately 4 hours a day, and sometimes climbing up to 18,000 feet. Some days have been much more challenging than others, with lots of turbulence to contend with, and thermals that were very difficult to climb in!

We ventured as far North and south as we could, covering 135 nautical miles of the Andes, as well as following the border with Argentina to the east, we have all learned a huge amount so far.

Eugene and I have learned the most as we only have some limited mountain gliding experience from Parcours Combatants, a tri-service expedition to the Alps in the South of France. For us, getting comfortable and confident flying close to rock faces to climb above them, and learning to thermal without a level horizon as a reference for turning has been the biggest challenges. And whilst Paul and Mark are both highly experienced mountain gliding pilots, everyone on the exchange has found the flying very challenging at times, demanding 100% concentration at all times.

On Thursday Paul said he had “possibly the best flight of my whole life” which is certainly saying something considering he has over 600 hours flying in the mountains.

We can’t wait to see what challenges and experiences next week holds!

Week 2 – By SAC(T) Webb


The weekend brought a welcome break from the hard work of flying during the week.

On Saturday we visited Los Dominicos, and explored an artisan market that showcased various Chilean examples of culture and craftsmanship. We learned about the history of the culture and different art forms from the different regions of Chile. They varied hugely, from the Spanish colonial influence, to the indigenous culture. We then returned to the airfield to spend the rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing in the swimming pool.

We traveled to Valparaíso on Sunday, a costal city with a rich history. Two of our FACh hosts, Gonzalo and Italo, acted as our very knowledgeable tour guides, showing us the sites and history of the city. We then had lunch at a sea food restaurant right on the beach in Viña Del Mar.

Back to flying on Monday, we were met with a rather disappointing met brief which predicted it to be a very difficult day due to weak and low thermals, and an inversion. In the hopes of giving us the best chance at staying airborne for any prolonged length of time we were towed higher and further up into the mountains, to where it should be a little easier.

We all struggled, scratching around for lift at low level for a couple of hours, but eventually we did manage to push up north into the higher ground. Eventually some of us managed to find some good thermals deep in the Andes near the border, and I managed to climb to around 19,500 feet. We then ran back to the south of Santiago, still above the hight of most of the clouds. To my surprise I stumbled across wave lift – incredibly smooth although not too strong. It made a welcome change from fighting turbulence and thermals in the lower levels!
Due to the challenging conditions and the fact that I had been lucky enough to climb so high this was definitely my most enjoyable flight so far!

Tuesdays met brief was slightly more optemistic than the day before, with stronger thermals predicted. Although it was still a very hot day, with a stable air mass we knew it would still be a struggle.
This was by far the most difficult day, everyone found it tough to find a good enough thermal to climb to allow us to push north into the mountains. Spending over an hour in the area where we were towed to eventually we got just enough height to fly along Los Espanoles, a ridge that leads to the North. Paul led the way, and once he reached an area called Lagunas, an area that normally provides very good thermals, we tried to find one to climb in. Unfortunately that was easier said than done! Paul climbed to about 3000m and decided to fly east, deeper into the mountains, but quickly returned when he realised it was even more difficult in that direction! After hearing that news the rest of us decided to turn around and fly south, back towards the airfield to see if we could make anything of the ridges closer to home.